Belapur Fort is a fort near the township of Belapur in Navi Mumbai. Built in 1560-1570 by the Siddis of Janjira, after they wrested control of the area from the Portuguese, it is located atop a hillock, near the mouth of the Panvel Creek. In 1682, the fort was recaptured by the Portuguese, who had managed to annex the regions controlled by the Siddis, near Belapur (at that time known as Shabaz).
In 1733, the Marathas, led by Chimaji Appa, wrested control of the fort from the Portuguese. He had made a vow that if it were to be successfully recaptured from the Portuguese, he would place a garland of beli leaves in a nearby Amruthaishwar temple, and after the victory the fort was renamed as Belapur Fort. The Marathas ruled the area until June 23, 1817, when it was captured by Captain Charles Gray of the British East India Company.
The British partially destroyed the fort in under their policy of razing any Maratha stronghold in the area. During its better days, the fort stationed four companies each of 180 men, and 14 guns ranging from four to 12 pounds in weight. An underground tunnel is also supposed to exist, which many locals believe connects it to Gharapuri Island, the site of the Elephanta Caves.
Belapur Fort Map
View Belapur Fort in a larger map
How To Reach
Chatrapati Shivaji International�Airport, Mumbai�(BOM)
Local Station. which is connected to Mumbai.
NMMT and Best Buses offer regular and frequent services from Most of the parts of Mumbai.
|Lonavala - Khandala|